About Me

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Maria Santana is a New York Correspondent for CNN en Español, a Turner Broadcasting Company. Before CNN en Español, Maria worked as the NY correspondent and Bureau Manager for SBS Broadcasting's Mega TV. She also worked as a producer and assignment editor for Telemundo WNJU in New York. Maria is a Graduate of Wesleyan University, and an Alumnus of the Connecticut School of Broadcasting program.

Monday, June 1, 2009

As Local as Local Gets! Covering the Cuban Parade in My Backyard

With all the big news events happening at the beginning of this week - plane crashes, murders, bankruptcies etc. I find my job especially gratifying when I can diversify the news space with local news of the positive variety. This weekend I covered the New Jersey Cuban Parade, and was able to interview such local legends as Radio DJ Polito Vega (He's Puerto Rican, but was honored at the parade), Cuban Singer Albita, and Salsa legends La Sonora Matancera.

It so happens that the parade literally is up the street from my home, so I was able to make a family afternoon of it (even including my two loves in a b-roll shot). I was able to connect with some of my colleagues from other networks who also came as guests of the parade, and take some great pictures (if you haven't seen them, follow me on twitter!). Parade season has officially begun in the metro area, and I love covering them, talking with the people and seeing the best of Latin culture and music. It may be local news, but it's as international as it gets!

No comments: