About Me

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Maria Santana is a New York Correspondent for CNN en Español, a Turner Broadcasting Company. Before CNN en Español, Maria worked as the NY correspondent and Bureau Manager for SBS Broadcasting's Mega TV. She also worked as a producer and assignment editor for Telemundo WNJU in New York. Maria is a Graduate of Wesleyan University, and an Alumnus of the Connecticut School of Broadcasting program.

Friday, June 19, 2009

The Summer has officially begun!

While Sunday is the official first day of summer, for many in NY, it officially started LAST Sunday at the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

I've been covering it for a few years now, and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people of all different ages, types, and characters that are on the sidelines as well as marching down 5th Avenue. 52 Years old, this parade is the biggest in NYC.

I try very hard to make sure that in my stories I include not only the politicians and the celebrities, but also the Batuteras (kid marching bands) , the urban and latin dance clubs, and the people in various typical costumes and floats. This is after all, a people's parade.

Now, some may think that covering parades isn't "real" news, and I have noticed some reporters hauling themselves up and down the avenue as if they didn't want to be there, but when its about showcasing the best about mi gente (meaning Latinos of all cultures), it's news to me.

I run up and down the street dragging my poor cameraman all over the place to get a great shot, interview great people, and show the city (and the rest of the world) one of the best summer events in NYC.

Here are some pictures from the parade. Normally I'd post video, but I think this captures a bit more.

No comments: