About Me

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Maria Santana is a New York Correspondent for CNN en Español, a Turner Broadcasting Company. Before CNN en Español, Maria worked as the NY correspondent and Bureau Manager for SBS Broadcasting's Mega TV. She also worked as a producer and assignment editor for Telemundo WNJU in New York. Maria is a Graduate of Wesleyan University, and an Alumnus of the Connecticut School of Broadcasting program.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

(Updated) Reporting a Tragedy at Wesleyan, My Alma Mater

Today I reported on the tragic murder of a student at Wesleyan University. Johanna Justin-Jinich ,a junior at the University, was killed by a gunman yesterday at her job at the Red and Black Café which is a common student destination and employer. The suspect is a man by the name of Stephen Morgan who seemed to have known the victim and targeted her directly. However, investigators also found a journal in which Morgan made threats against the school and its Jewish students in particular.

This is especially personal to me because I graduated from Wesleyan and know the campus and the community well. The campus is very open and students have always felt absolutely safe.

I found it a little disappointing that there wasn't much about this in the Spanish media, despite it being a national story. I found very few articles online as I was preparing my package, and saw only one mention today. There is a good population of Latinos on Campus as well as in Middletown CT, and informing them of the details around this incident may have helped capture the suspect, or keep them safe.

With that in mind, I'm giving you an update on this story since my broadcast - according to the University, they are re-opening parts of campus slowly, and holding a vigil for Johanna. Also, Below are updated photos of Stephen Morgan. Anyone with information is urged to contact the Middletown Police Department at (860 344-3200).

UPDATE 10:30PM : It appears Stephen Morgan has turned himself in to authorities in Connecticut. I also learned that Johanna was in fact Latina, with Mexican parentage. Regardless of her ethnicity, more must be done to stop violence against women.







No comments: