About Me

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Maria Santana is a New York Correspondent for CNN en Español, a Turner Broadcasting Company. Before CNN en Español, Maria worked as the NY correspondent and Bureau Manager for SBS Broadcasting's Mega TV. She also worked as a producer and assignment editor for Telemundo WNJU in New York. Maria is a Graduate of Wesleyan University, and an Alumnus of the Connecticut School of Broadcasting program.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Day with the (ex) Barrio Boyz!

A few weeks ago I got to spend an afternoon with Hans, Angel, Louie and David of the Boyz del Barrio, formerly known as the Barrio Boyz. 

If you don't remember them, they used to be the Latino answer to early 90's boy groups like Boyz II Men, NSync, and 98 degrees. They were able to combine smooth R&B with Latin beats and could sing in English and Spanish. Their most famous hit was a duet with Selena, titled "Donde Quiera Que Estes," which was a number one hit.

They're on the comeback trail now and I got the pleasure of interviewing them. Check out my report:




What is funny about this is that I first met Angel Ramirez when I was covering a film he did called "Sacred Game." The movie made it's way through the festival circuit if you missed its release. Afterwards we played phone tag for months in trying to get all the old Barrio Boyz together in one place for the interview.  We finally met up at their music directors home in Upstate, NY and I had a great time talking to them, listening to them reminisce about old times and talk about what they were planning to do in the future.

This is the era of boy band comebacks, I recently went to a NKOTB concert and those guys were better than ever. I hope they do well. Thanks for the interview!

No comments: